Social media is any online platform or app that allows parties to communicate instantly with each other or to share data in a public forum. Social media platforms can be an incredible way for you to promote your group and activity, stay in contact with members and share details for upcoming events.
It can be a tool that can do wonders for your group, and it is a tool that you should take advantage of. However, bear in mind that there is great responsibility that comes with hosting various social media platforms. The attached policy goes into detail about the use of social media for your student group which must be adhered to at all times. The key things to avoid when using social media are:
- You should not bring RHSU or RHUL into disrepute
- Breach confidentiality of the organisation
- Breach copyright laws
- Breach data protection laws
- Do anything that could be considered discriminatory against, or bullying or harassment of, any individual directly or indirectly
You should use your platform to promote positivity and inclusivity, and be respective of one another. Having harmful images or posts on your social media can have a negative impact on those involved, on careers and the success of your group. So think before you post!
Social media tips:
- The curse of knowledge - don't use university or activity specific jargon as people might not know what you mean. Especially at the start of the academic year with the arrival of new students. They might not know what you mean by a social or what sabbs are, or if you refer to a room as FLT - people might not yet know that stands for Founders Lecture Theatre.
- Accessibility & inclusivity should be at the forefront of every post you publish - this government webpage gives some useful tips on how to make your posters accessible and inclusive to all.
- Use your own pictures - showcase your group by taking lots of photos at all your events, and share them (with people's permission) on your social media pages. If you don't have your own photos just yet - Unsplash is a helpful website where you can get professional looking photos for free!
- Create a brand - you can create your own brand or theme to make your accounts look more professional. You can use Canva to help design posters, Instagram or Facebook posts, logos, videos and more!