Student groups at RHSU have a strong history of fundraising as does the wider student movement in the UK. Previously as with many unions, this fundraising activity has been channelled through a student lead initiative named Raise and Give (RAG). Over the past number of years, we have seen a steady decline of engagement and interest in working with and running of this group. This year the Union made a decision to remove the need for the group and put in place fundraising guidance which will help any student group fundraising with for another charity or themselves.
This process will outline how a group can fundraise and how the money can be handled to ensure all parties are confident in the process.
Please read the guidance and FAQs along with this process whenever you are planning any fundraising activity as a student group.
How to plan an event and pay the money in
- Let the Union know you are planning an event, including booking requests and any risk assessments that may be needed, via Freshdesk.
- When planning the event you will need to decide how you advertise for the donation, this is important as it will need to state how much of the money is going to the charity and if it is being spent in a specific manner. Once this has been stated it must be used in this way.
- Remember you can always split the donations between a charity and your group, please make sure this is advertised at the point of donation.
- Collect money at the event, then you will need to pay this in using a paying in form. This can be done at the SU Helpdesk any time before 4pm Monday to Friday.
- Once you have counted the money please make sure the form states where the money is heading and any additional things we need to be aware of.
- If you are raising money for both yourselves and a charity please use two separate forms and paying in bags.
- We will then pay this money either into your account or to the charity you have listed.
In order to plan a fundraising event or activity you should follow the standard steps by which you would plan any event/activity