If you’re having food at your events, whether that’s selling food, just having some snacks for your film night, or having a fully catered event then make sure to read all of the below information (this will also help you understand what to include in your risk assessment):

Natasha’s Law

Natasha’s Law has been introduced to ensure that anyone serving/selling food displays all ingredients for each food item, with the common allergens highlighted. Therefore, for any student group event where you have food, you will need to make sure you have the ingredients list. 

You can check out more information on Natasha’s Law here

Here's an example of how you can display ingredients and common allergens:

Selling and Suppling Food

If you are selling food e.g. at a bake sale or supplying food for an event you need to make sure you follow these steps:

  • Have all ingredients clearly displayed with common allergens highlighted
  • Make sure any food is handled properly and hygienically i.e. using gloves, keeping food in separate containers, disposing of out of date food, making sure food is kept and made in a clean environment
  • If your food requires to be kept at a specific temperature making sure to do this using the correct equipment - which will need to be PAT tested. If this is also the case, then whoever is handling the food must have a Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene Certificate
  • If selling pre-packaged goods, and this includes pre-baked cakes, you will need to have each item individually labelled with a list of ingredients (as above) that can be handed out at each purchase.

If you’re suppling food an event from an external food business such as Dominos, you will need to submit your event proposal and risk assessment as usual and just make sure that you communicate with your members / event attendees to check the allergens which should be provided by the company.


SU Catering

The SU can provide some catering for your event. All you need to do is make sure you have filled out an event proposal form, and then also fill out the catering request form and a member of our venues team will be in touch.

If there’s anything that isn’t listed on there that you were hoping to have at your event then reach out to the venues team and they might be able to help!

Food provided by the SU will have ingredients and allergens clearly displayed.

University Catering

The University also offer some catering for events in academic spaces on campus. Check out their menu here. Then all you need to do is fill out an event proposal form and let us know what you would like to order and we’ll arrange the rest!

Food provided by the University will have ingredients and allergens clearly displayed.

Third-Party Catering

If you’re wanting to hire a third-party caterer to supply food at your event then make sure to let us know in advance so we can support you with the process. As always, the first thing you’ll need to do is submit an event proposal where it will ask you for:

  • The 3rd party’s public liability insurance
  • Their Food Safety & Hygiene Level 2 certificate
  • Electrical Certificate if using their own equipment

The caterer will need to make sure that all food has ingredients clearly displayed as outlined above, but it is the event organiser’s responsibility to ensure that they do this. If they’re unable to supply the ingredient list for each food item - you should not allow them to continue serving.