Over the summer, or if unexpected circumstances arise throughout the year, you might start looking into recruiting a coach for your group. There are two approaches to coach recruitment:
- You reach out to coaches through your own network of contacts.
If this is the case then all you need to do is let us know that you have a coach and then we will begin the coach on-boarding process outlined in this Freshdesk article. When advertising the vacancy, you might want to use any relevant forums or your social media pages.
- You reach out to us to help you fill a vacancy
We can assist in the following ways:
- Job Descriptions: we can create a job description that you can use to advertise the vacancy. All you need to do is fill out this form, setting out the rate of pay, working hours and general expectations.
- Advertising: we can advertise the role for you on the BUCS website, and depending on the role and how specialised the sport, we can reach out to your relevant NGBs or post the role on Jobs in Sport.
- Shortlisting: once applications have closed, we will send all of the candidate information to you and ask you to shortlist THREE or fewer candidates. Interviews can be time consuming, so you will want to keep it to under three. We will then be able to contact the successful applicants with the interview details.
- Interviewing: We can provide you with interview questions and also assist in interviewing the candidates. We’d recommend having a member of the Student Opportunities team and one or two members of your committee.
- If outside of term time, we would also suggest asking the candidates to submit and present a session plan of the committee’s choice e.g. ‘Prepare and present a session plan for a 30 minute session on tackling’.
- If during term, we’d suggest asking them to run a small practical session followed by a short interview.
All you need to do is fill out this form and we can help with recruitment!
What qualifications do coaches need?
They need their own public liability insurance and a minimum of a level 2 coaching qualification. They should also have their own first aid qualifications.
Can the coaches we’re interviewing come onto campus?
Yes! But if they’re going to be parking on campus we need to know their car details (registration plate, car make, model and colour) so we can make sure they are registered. If this isn’t done, they will get a fine.