Mileage and Fuel
- For Union Bus bookings your club or society will be charged 30p per mile for the fuel used during your journey. There is no need for you to refuel the bus at the end of your journey.
- If you do need to refuel in the middle of your journey, only fill up by the amount you think you will use. Please attach a copy of the receipt to the Hire Form so that you won’t get charged twice for fuel. You will need to take a photo of the receipt to attach to your expense claim.
- For Kendall Bus bookings you will need to refuel the bus to same level indicated at the start of your journey. If you do not, Kendall will charge significant fuel fees to your club.
- ALL the minibuses take diesel.
- All those authorised to drive the Union Bus must comply with the requirements of the driving and vehicle safety policy. To view the policy please download the document below.
- In each of the SU vehicles, there is a log book located in the central dashboard. This has to be completed at the beginning and the end of the journey. Please note that hired vehicles DO NOT have a log book.
- Complete the vehicle safety checklist
- Read the do’s and don’ts and breakdown information
- Read and sign the hire form
- Fill out starting vehicle usage information
- Drive safely
- If you need to refuel, put the receipt in the pack, take a picture of the receipt and claim through Student Opportunities. Unless you’re a student staff driver, then use the fuel cards provided.
- On your return, return to Car Park 3 (Car Park 4 if busy)
- Fill out finishing vehicle usage information and make any necessary notes
- Fill out the log book
- Make sure the bus is kept in a clean state, and all windows and doors are locked
- Drop the keys and pack off at Founders Security (unless specified otherwise)
Accidents and Damages
- You will be responsible for any new damage found on the bus when it is returned for the SU and your club or society will be charged for repair accordingly.
- Before you start your journey you must complete the Hire Form that will be given with the keys. On this, you must declare any accidents or damage to the bus that occurs during your hire. Failure to do so may result in an additional charge to your club or society.
- Any accidents that you are at fault for, your club or society will be charged the excess payment of the insurance claim and you will be required to retake the Union Bus test. If you are at fault in a second accident, you will no longer be allowed to drive the Union Bus.
- If you are in an accident, please contact the SU Helpdesk on 01784 276700 immediately. If it is outside opening hours, please email email@example.com and contact Founders Security.
Before driving the Union Bus, make sure to check out the charges (attached below) that you or your club or society may be charged for any offences committed.
All drivers of the Union Bus should be aware that there are tracking devices fitted into the buses that track a variety of things. This includes but is not limited to:
- Number of trips, including start and finish times
- Crash detection
- Idling reports
Union Bus Information
- Height: 2.4m
- Equipment: safety hammer, first aid box, hi vis jacket, accident forms, log book
- Tyre Pressure: 53.7 psi
The Legal Bits
Driving the Union Buses means you must also:
- Make sure you are fit to drive – do not begin a journey if you’re tired and make sure you take sufficient breaks
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Wear a seatbelt
- You must obey signals given by police officers, traffic officers and wardens, and signs used by school crossing patrols.
- You must obey all traffic light signals
- You must not sound the horn whilst stationery on the road, or when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11:30pm and 07:00am except when another road user poses a danger.
- Use dipped headlights at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen.
- Speed limits:
- Built up areas (unless otherwise specified) 30mph
- Single carriageways 50mph
- Dual carriageways 60mph
- Motorways 70mph